Results tagged ‘ John Lamb ’
Mother Nature did not cooperate with the Keys’ plans Friday night, washing away Casino Night and postponing the 7 p.m. game against Wilmington.
But, as a result, we’re playing two at The Grove tonight, which will make for one grand Saturday evening at the ballpark. The doubleheader starts at 6 p.m. and gates open at 5 p.m.
*Bobblehead giveaway tips:
- If you want a Manny bobblehead (it looks good, doesn’t it?) get here early. The earlier the better.
- We’re giving away 1,000 bobbles courtesy of BayRunner Shuttle when the gates open at 5 p.m.
- It’s first come, first serve and there will be a line.
Once you’ve got your bobblehead, get ready for two games that feature some strong pitching matchups. In game one, Keys pitcher Tim Berry takes on Blue Rocks top-pitching prospect and 2012 first-round pick Kyle Zimmer in game one. A look at the game one matchup:
KEYS GAME ONE STARTER: LHP Tim Berry (2-1, 3.44)
- Fourth in the Carolina League with 38 strikeouts.
- Retired first 13 Wilmington batters in April 12 start against Zimmer and Blue Rocks. Fanned eight and allowed two runs on two hits and two walks over six innings in start, receiving a no-decision in the Keys’ 4-3 win.
- Rated by Baseball America as Baltimore’s 11th-best prospect.
- Drafted in the final (50th) round of the 2009 draft by the Orioles after senior season of high school, during which he threw a no-hitter and then had Tommy John surgery.
BLUE ROCKS GAME ONE STARTER: RHP Kyle Zimmer (0-2, 4.03)
- Struck out eight Keys on April 12, allowing an unearned run on two hits and three walks. Enters game coming off a 6.1-inning, one-run start.
- Leads the Carolina League with 12.41 K/9 ratio; second in strikeouts (40).
- Rated by Baseball America as Kansas City’s No. 1 prospect. Had surgery to remove bone chips from his pitching elbow in the offseason. When healthy, has registered 99 mph with his fastball.
And game two’s matchup:
KEYS GAME TWO STARTER: LHP Trent Howard (1-0, 0.51)
- Has allowed just one run in 17.2 innings out the bullpen this season.
- Went 0-1 with a 4.30 ERA in three starts vs. Blue Rocks last season
BLUE ROCKS GAME TWO STARTER: LHP John Lamb (2-3, 4.88)
- Had Tommy John surgery in ‘11; prior to injury was KC’s top pitching prospect
- Rated as Royals No. 11 prospect by Baseball America; 0-2, 8.00 ERA on the road this season
*Before we get underway with the games, The Grove will have a special first pitcher tonight. Noah “Biingo” Gray of “The Biggest Loser” fame will be tossing out a ceremonial first pitch this evening.
Biingo, a 13-year-old from New Windsor, was one of three child participants on the show who wanted to lose weight and get healthier. As part of his journey to a healthier lifestyle, Biingo, who loves baseball, came to Harry Grove Stadium for a workout that aired on the show.
He’s back tonight and he’s fit. Check out his before and after photos on nbc.com.
*And we’re planning for a beefed up fireworks show tonight, seeing as last night’s got rained out.
As of 2 p.m., tickets are still available. But them online at FrederickKeys.com at any time, at 301-815-9939 until 3 p.m., or at the Keys box office at Harry Grove Stadium.
*Tonight’s game one lineup:
Shake your Keys.